Quote of the Week:

Curiosity will conquer fear even more than bravery will. James Stephens (1882-1950)

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Interesting Day





Today started out like any other day but by the end of the day I had 4 new mouthes to feed. Was outside with my parents and my two kids helping plant a garden when my husband called my dad and asked him to tell me to come up to the shop. I walked up there and low and behold Mike had found 4 baby birds and one unhatched egg. The nest was in a boat t-top that was down at the road at a family friend's business having some work done. Dad and Mike picked it up today and Mike was stripping all the usable parts off of it and discovered the nest. Normally we would have left it alone until Momma bird was done rearing her young but since was moved over 3 miles from it's original location we knew without our help all four babies would perish. So Mike called me up there to run to the store to get the supplies to take care of the babies. All 4 babies have their eyes open and some feathers and fortunately none of them have any signs of avian pox. They were taking the food from me today and digesting the food okay so we have high hopes for them. It will be nice when they are done being raised that they have a safe spot to live. We live close to some woods and the river so I'm sure after we set them free they will find a new home, but I thought it would be neat to journal their progress and take some pics. Teddy (our Collie/Shepard mix) doesn't quite know what to think about them but the kids like to watch momma feed the new babies and everyone knows that the babies need to be handled as little as possible.
























No comments:

Post a Comment